carb tuning question

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: carb tuning question
From: SpitfireKP@aol.com
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 10:34:03 EDT
I have a single Stromberg on my 74 Spit, and I am having some trouble setting
the idle. I had written the list about 2 weeks ago regarding some fuel
problems, but I have since fixed them. However, I am still having trouble with
what I assume is the idle adjustment on the carb. Even though it is very hot
here, the car takes a while to catch when I start it. It is a lot like how the
car behaved in the dead of winter (which makes me wonder what the winter will
be like if I don't get this problem fixed). I end up having to pump the gas and
have the choke full on (regardless of engine temp) to start the car. The car
also had some trouble stalling while idling, even after running for a while.
Also, when I first start the car, unless I pump the gas, it idles low, and then
turns itself off. This is embarassing when it coincides with you trying to pull
away, and you stall the car. That led me to believe that I had to adjust the
idle speed because it was too low. However, after adjustin!
g some screws, it idles at 1300 RPM, or it idles so low that the car stalls.
Both of these things can happen 5 minutes apart from eachother and seem to
happen completly at whim. I didn't adjust any screws that control the mixture
or anything inside the carburator - only ones that mechanically (or so I think)
stop the linkage from returning past a certain point when you take your foot
off the gas. I am at a loss, but I would really like to get this problem fixed
- it is embarassing to be stalling at stop lights all the time. Any advice on
what is wrong or what I can do?
Kris Powell