Front-end remorse

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Front-end remorse
From: "Terry L. Thompson" <tlt@digex.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 11:33:34 -0400
Well, after 3 days of dis-and-reassembly,  $1200 spent, 5 seized bolts sawed
through and a couple of bloody knuckles... it's done. My '76 Spitfire now
has new GT6 front rotors, vertical links, calipers (painted in 1601D Ford
Blue to contrast the Inca yellow), hub bearings, trunnions, tie-rods,
poly-bushings, stainless braided brake lines, Carrera shocks and chrome coil
overs on the front end. And is it ever so pretty.

Would I recommend these upgrades to anyone? Not a "no"...but a "Hell No".

Not only did I manage to spend over $1200 so far, but I still need a front
end alignment and my back is still soar from wrenching/cutting 24 year old
bolts free from the rust. I managed to seat and adjust the Carrera coils
(after tearing up a tire from having the ride height set too low), by having
my father (270 lbs.) sit on the firewall shelf while I jacked-up the lower
A-arm and I sat on the fender (another 200 lbs.). As a note to anyone
getting the carrera's...the shocks must be adjusted about 20 turns up from
the bottom so your tires don't get shredded going over bumps.

Another $50 for a new tire and a front end alignment ($?) and I'm back in
business.

(The Poly bushings were a necessary evil, and I would recommend the upgrade,
especially if your bushings are as rotted out as mine were) but because I'm
not racing or autocrossing, the GT6 verticals/brakes and Carrera shocks were
a decadent (but beautiful) waste of money.

Terry L. Thompson
'76 Spit 1500
Maryland