Re: Coil newbie help

To: "spitfires@autox.team.net" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Coil newbie help
From: "alemen@pop.ftconnect.com" <alemen@pop.ftconnect.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 11:56:33 -0400
I recently put a new Crane PS20 on my '76. The ballast resistor is in fact
integral to the wiring loom in my and your car ( unless it has of course been
bypassed). The huge resistor with heat sink bolted onto the air pump is the
drive resistor for the Lucas Opus electronic ignition. If you are replacing an
original Lucas (6v) coil then a PS20 (black case) or PS40 (same but chrome
casing) is a straight swap. They come with a resistor, but since there is
already one built in, it is not needed and can immediately go in the spares
box. My car when I got it already had the Opus system removed and an Allison
one in it's place so the drive resistor was in fact not connected. I have also
just replaced that with a Pertronix ignitor. If you do put the higher voltage
coil in consider opening up the plug gap to get the benefit. Crane recommended
35 - 45 thou with as large as it will take. Various folks have tried several
gaps in that range and all seem to be OK.

Alan