Spit 6 conversion update

To: "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spit 6 conversion update
From: Ben Bacon <Ben@HEI-KC.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 13:17:40 -0500
Greetings to the list,
Just a quick update on my spit 6 project,  Spent the last weekend changing
the tranny and differential out on my spit 6 daily driver, while the wife
and kids were away at her sisters.  The transmission I originally used
looked rebuilt on the outside, but appeared to have worn synchro's on the
inside.  I pulled the other transmission out of my gt6 parts car and on the
outside it looked pretty rough.  So I decided to crack the top open and
inspect the internals.  When I popped the top cover off I was surprised to
find what could have passed for a new or rebuilt transmission in the inside.
Everything was clean with no signs of wear or scuff marks.  The only problem
I would later find was that the Speedo gear on the output shaft is broken.
Found that out after the tranny was installed, pity. At least the gears
shift smoothly now.  Oh well, Another future project.  That was Saturday.
Sunday I swapped the spitfire 3.89 rear end with the GT6 3.27 rear end from
the parts car.  I decided to pull the back of the gt6 differential to make
sure it too was in good condition. It was.  Sometimes you just live right I
guess.

To make a rather long weekend story short, Both swaps were completed with
only the standard scraps and cuts.  I've notice a big improvement with the
new rear end.  The spitfire was always fun to drive. Now it's able to keep
up with traffic with ease.  Very enjoyable.

I have a couple of question for the list.  The 69 GT6+ has a brass plug in
the bottom center of the float bowl of the ZS carbs.  It looks like it's
adjustable and might effect the mixture, but I can't find any info
concerning it.  It's it adjustable or just for show.

Also,the US Gt6's were spec'ed for 4ATDC, or at least that's what's in the
manual.  The Europe models were timed for 10 BTDC.  Right now I have mine
set for 4 BTDC as it seems to run a bit better there.  What is the correct /
best timing for the engine.

Thanks

Ben Bacon
79 spit6 (daily driver)