Frame members

To: Spitfires Digest <spitfires-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: Frame members
From: LT <llst@telus.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 00:16:19 -0700
Ed, I can't comment with regard to the suppliers however I had to
replace the outriggers on my MK 2 project a few weeks ago. I discovered
that the frame was also rusted out on the outside/bottom corner. I
removed all of the outrigger except for the top plate and the vertical
tube on the exterior (that's where the 5 inch bolt goes) along with a 1
1/2 inch section of the bottom plate that the tube is connected to. From
a donor frame, I cut off about an eight inch piece of the outrigger and
frame. On this section, I removed the top/inside section of the frame as
well as the corresponding tube and bottom piece and applied the
remainder to the MK 2 frame. This resulted in having two top plates and
an eight inch section of doubled up frame. I had to cut out the anchor
nut on the donor plate so that the two pieces fit together. I chose this
method as I thought it would be the easiest way to insure that the bolt
down holes were not misaligned and it reinforced the rusted section of
frame. I took the frame down to a local welding shop and they did a lap
weld with a mig welder for $40. There was a sandblasting outfit next to
the welding shop and for another $40, they finished off the torturous
job of getting the undercoating and paint cleaned off. I had already put
20 hours and and a flat and a half of beer into the stripping however
there are areas where you just can't get into. When I picked up the
frame, I noticed two dime sized rust holes in the top of the outrigger
through the frame. It looks like water and dirt accumulated between the
frame and the outrigger and this rusted from the inside out. I brushed
on a coat of two component epoxy primer on the frame and will try to
apply some good quality (not latex based) duct sealant to the inside of
the frame through the rust hole at the top. I used a sawzall and a
grinder on the welds to cut and patch. It turned out quite good and it
would take a close inspection to note that the frame is doubled up in
the area of the outrigger. And Joe is right about having to shake and
turn the frame every which way to get all of the sand out.

Larry Ternowski
Surrey BC

From: "Edward Hamilton" <hamilton@ptd.net>

After an up-close-and-personal inspection, I've decided it best to
replace
the outriggers on the '72 GT6 frame.  Would appreciate (offline)
positive/negative comments regarding the quality of chassis components
from
the various vendors.

Regards,
Ed Hamilton