Front shocks

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Front shocks
From: JeffreyLos@aol.com
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 23:24:01 EDT
Hello listers:
I've discovered that the original front shocks on my 72 Spit need to be
replaced. Press down on the left front and the coil spring barely compresses
and the shock drops 1+ inches and stays there. I've already replaced the rear
shocks with standard gas shocks from BPNW. There is a 3/4" sag on the left
side (where else?) of the rear spring even with the new shocks in place.
While I realize the spring may have worn and taken this "set" , I also think
the front shocks may contribute to this problem since pressing down on the
right front improves left rear significantly. Question: In addition to
replacing the front shocks, should I consider air adjustable  FRONT shocks
similar to what has been suggested (in the VTR web site maintenance page) for
the rear. Will this work with the coil springs? Do I need new shocks from the
usual suppliers or can Gabriel or Monroe shocks that fit 62-83 Corvettes
(again per the VTR page) work on the front as well as the rear? Just a novice
here (but a fast learner) so any suggestions appreciated.

Jeff
Portland, OR.  (home of VTR 2000 this weekend)