remember 1280 vs 1000?

To: "Spitfires@autox.team.net" <Spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: remember 1280 vs 1000?
From: Patrick Baize <speedracre@netzero.net>
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2000 20:57:24 -0500
OK all
    A while back we had a discussion about speedometers and Over Drives.
My Spit has an Over Drive and the speedo siezed and took out the cable
and angle drive as well.  I installed a used speedo that I got from one
of the listers. Same year as my car, but with no overdrive.  I finally
got an angle drive and installed it this morning. Seems the speedo is
reading a little on the high side. I'll have more detailed info later,
after I do some checking.

My question is, How do you tell a 1280 speedo from a 1000 speedo?

THnx
Pat