Re: master clutch cylinder - too soon to declare victory

To: "Jeff Gruber" <jgruber@demainsoft.com>
Subject: Re: master clutch cylinder - too soon to declare victory
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 14:22:22 +0100
Hi Jeff
Was yours the sticky master cylinder rebuild, if so it could be that the
piston is not coming right back up, is there a bit of free play in the
linkage when the pedal is up and the piston at the limit of it's travel, if
there is no free play it may be holding the piston down a little and the
smallest amount of movement on the piston will close the fluid fill  valve
and prevent the system from being topped up. The same thing will happen if
the return spring in the cylinder is not strong enough to push the piston
all the way back. If the system is not being refilled, this could cause the
pedal to get lower and lower, especially if the slave cylinder was a bit
weepy, how is the slave, bear in mind it is probably the same age as the
master was before the rebuild! I hope this gives you some help.

Graham.
2.5 PI MKII
Sprinted Dolomite
2000 MKI