Carburetor Conundrum

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Carburetor Conundrum
From: "Terry L. Thompson" <tlt@digex.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2000 19:02:40 -0400
Spitfire listers,
I purchased a master rebuild kit for a dual HS4 set-up, and noticed that the
throttle disks appear to be too large for the throttle bodies. The throttle
plates are solid (no relief valve and spring built into them) unlike the
stock throttle plates, but the box says it's universal for HS4's. Are you
expected to have your throttle bodies (the aluminum carb body) re-machined
to accept these slightly larger replacement butterflies? (they're probably
about a millimeter too large for the carb housing.

And also, the throttle pivots don't come with the rubber bushings, this kit
has metal bushings that don't come anywhere close to fitting between the
throttle pivot and the carb housing. Am I supposed to have the holes where
the throttle pivots sit also machined out to accept these bushings?

So what's the deal?

Thanks,
Terry L. Thompson
'76 Spit 1500