Distributor vacuum advance again

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Distributor vacuum advance again
From: Glenn Trunnell <trunnell@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 23:09:38 -0700
After reading the discussion about this topic last week it occurred to
me that  my vacuum advance may be at the heart of my problem.  My car
runs great everywhere except at idle.  I have a '76 Stromberg and a
vacuum advance distributor, I know without a doubt that this is in fact
a vacuum advance unit instead of a retard unit.  I currently run with
the timing set at 12 deg. btdc with the vacuum advance line
disconnected.  This gives me good off the line acceleration, but
requires that I run the carb very rich to keep it from missing at idle.
If I connect the vacuum line I get something like 20 deg advance at idle
which drops off as soon as  I hit the throttle.  I believe that the ZS
carb I am running is in fact designed to run with the retard distributor
rather than the advance unit I have.  If I retard the timing the idle
smoothes right out but the car will not accelerate at all,.  Does anyone
know of a source for the retard type vacuum actuator or have one that
they would like to sell?  I would really like to have the smooth idle
and be able to lean the carb out and I think this may be the solution.

Thanks,
Glenn