SU HS-2 Question

To: "Spitfires List Server (E-mail)" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: SU HS-2 Question
From: "Chris Sharp" <sharpc@interaxs.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 22:16:13 -0400
Howdy--

Here's one for all y'all SU experts out there.

A neighbor of mine and his teenage son both have mid 70's Datsuns.  They've
swapped the original engine (1300 I think) for the larger (1500?) Datsun
engines.  They are both using the stock Datsun ignition.  Recently, they
converted them both to SU HS-2 carbs using a special manifold made for this
application.  Now they both have developed the same problem:  the engine
cuts out abruptly above 5000 RPM with a strong gasoline smell, cuts back in
by lifting off of the accelerator.  The best way to describe it is like
disconnecting the ignition.  But since neither car had this problem before
the carb swap, the SU's are being eyed with a great deal of suspicion.

Knowing I have SU's on my Spit, they drew me into the conversation.  I'm
half-way decent with a wrench but this one's got me stumped.  Any ideas?

Chris