Re: Shake, Rattle & Roll!!!

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Shake, Rattle & Roll!!!
From: "Luke Lewis" <lukage@home.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 23:30:41 -0400
> Now, for the listers in Ontario and Quebec, for the safety, what are they
> looking for?  I'm guessing all running lights, horn, brakes.  What else?

I've been through this from both ends, so I should be able to help.  I used
to be Automotive Manager at a Canadian Tire store, plus my Spit came back
from a basket case, so it took a lot to safety it.  Here are the main things
they're looking for:

1. Safety equipment is operational (Obvious one) : Wipers&washers, horn, ALL
lights, inside&outside door handles and side window cranks, seat belts
cannot be ripped in any way, dash lights (not that they can check that in a
lighted garage) etc.

2. Brakes: all linings have to be above - er- 3/32" front and 2/32" rear?
Something like that.  Replace them if they're worn - they're cheap.
Calipers & wheel cylinders not seized or leaking.  All slidey bits sliding.
Parking/E-brake holds and does not stick. Steel lines can have surface rust,
but not scale.  Flex hoses not stiff/cracked/worn.  Master cylinder not
leaking internally or externally.  Rotors and drums all above discard
thickness.

3. Suspension/Tire: NO play in front end parts (Ball joints, TRE's, control
arm bushings, trunnions, etc.).  Wheel bearings not sloppy.  Rear end - same
deal, no play anywhere.  Shocks not visibly leaking.  Tires above 3/32"
tread all across the tire.

4. General:  No holes in floor/rockers/anywhere that go into the interior.
Doors must seal.  Nothing hanging off or falling off of car. (Duhh... but
you'd be surprised!)

That's about all I can think of - usually a car that feels tight will pass,
but some mechanics are picky.  It's all up to the tech who looks at it.

Luke
'71 Spit - "Fireball"
London, Ont. Ca.