Re: Gasket Remover

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Gasket Remover
From: "John & Tracy Knox" <jknox@erie.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 21:52:41 -0400
I've used several types.  Most of them work very well.  Allow them to soak
into the gasket and scrape using a soft metal scraper.  I used to use a
product called aerosolve, but I have not been able to find it for quite a
while.  That stuff worked as a sticker remover, points cleaner, degreaser,
gasket remover, and bug killer.  A good sharp piece of aluminum works well.
I also have a paint scraper that I have sharpened and it works better.  I
know your not supposed to use something this hard as you risk damaging the
mating surfaces, but it works very well if you keep a low angle of attack.
Don't use the blue permatex on gaskets if you can help it as it gets
everywhere and will cause leaks if your not careful.  Also be very careful
with the sticky gasket sealers over large areas.  Even if it holds with a
few pounds/in^2 it will be a bear to pull apart.

John