Unusual Spitfire Sighting

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Unusual Spitfire Sighting
From: "Greg Rowe" <growe58@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 22:53:33 EDT
I didn't expect to see a Spitfire while I was on vacation,
particularly in rather out of the way Wellsboro PA.  But there
I am at the ice cream parlor with my back to the window when
my family's eyes suddenly get wide as they look out the window.
"Is that a SPITFIRE?".  Now I've got them trained pretty good
in recognizing Triumphs, so their incredulity caused me to turn
around rather quickly.  Well yeah, it was a Spitfire, at least
from the rocker panels up.  Below, well I wasn't sure...

Of course, I talked to the owner while he was ordering cones
and he told me that it was a Jeep CJ5 chassis with a Spitfire
body.  Apparently, it had started life as a parts car, but he
couldn't abide wasting a good tub, so it was married to the Jeep.
Probably practical around there with lots of mountains and unpaved
roads.  Personally, we all thought the looks were rather, uh,
awkward, but I do admire his motives.  Certainly very little of
the Spitfire personality could have survived, however...

It surely made my day, however.

Greg Rowe