Re: Zenith Stromberg CD150

To: "JM Weber" <weberjm@teleport.com>,
Subject: Re: Zenith Stromberg CD150
From: Dan Buettner <danb@thelittlemacshop.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 18:02:29 -0500
At 3:37 PM -0700 8/20/00, JM Weber wrote:
>Hi List!
>
>Is there anyone in the Portland, Oregon area who could be kind enough to
>come over to my place to drink my beer and strike me about the head and
>shoulders whilst pointing out just what the (&$@ is wrong with the stupid
>air-fuel thingy hanging off the side of my engine?
>
>No smooth idle.
>Won't rev under load past about 3500.  Does 5000+ easy under no load.
>Bucks, hesitates, surges, aaaaack!
>
>I know that I have done "something" wrong, and it is NOT in the Haynes, nor
>is it in my limited storehouse of carburetor knowledge.  I've tried the
>obvious stuff like vacuum leaks, adjusting the mixture with the dashpot and
>the other thing like chapter 15 shows...
>
>Help?
>
>John
>'75 Spit

John --

Too far for me to drive, otherwise I'd be over shortly ... but I'll
share what I've been told about such problems: 90% of carburetor
problems are electrical.

Is the car timed right?  Do you have spark at all four plugs?  Are
the plugs gapped properly?  Are the plugs firing in the correct
order?  Is the engine ground strap in good shape?  How do the rotor
and dist. cap contacts look?

And for the mechanical -- are the valves adjusted right?

And for the fuel/air -- is the float set at the correct height?  Is
the fuel filter clogged?  Is the pump pumping?  Is the air filter
clean?  Is the choke operating properly (i.e. it's off when you want
it to be off)?

I know a lot of it's obvious -- but sometimes we all need to be reminded!

HTH,
Dan

'77 Spit, '57 TR3

Dan Buettner                               mailto:danb@thelittlemacshop.com