Re: Whether the weather... (non-lbc)

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Whether the weather... (non-lbc)
From: Ken Strayhorn <ken@dukecomm.duke.edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 14:42:16 -0400
Suzie remarked:

>For all those in gentler climes (ie, the US) think of us poor Brits.
>Although I was driving round under clear blue skies yesterday there was a
>tornado in the west (thinking of moving to Kansas, Bill?) and hail & snow on
>the east coast (did you need your thermals, Dean & Richard?)- in August!!!

It's not all peaches over here - we have raging fires out West,
it's pretty hot in Texas and Arkansas right now (I see several
"100+" markers on the map) and a hurricane or two headed this
way. I also heard the dreaded word "snow" mentioned on the
news last night for some of the northern Rockies. Yikes!

However, some of the most exhilarating moments I've spent
in my Spit have been in some of the roughest weather - being
caught in a severe thunderstorm while crossing the Cheasapeak
Bay Bridge-Tunnel one night, for example. A downburst caught me on
one of the bridges and the gusts split the zipper on the rear
plastic window, blowing it out. As we all know, the best way
to keep rain out of a car is to drive fast, so I did until
I made the next tunnel. I sewed the zipper back together with
dental floss.

Driving to work in a leather jacket, silk scarf and etc with
the top down in sub-freezing weather will have your
co-workers questioning your sanity, but it's fun nonetheless.

But the crowning moment for me was driving to work after
a terrible blizzard, using the tracks of a truck to
keep me on the road. The only other person to come to
work that morning was a colleague who drove a Fiat Spyder.
All the guys with the pickups and SUVs? They called
in, saying they couldn't make it.

I docked their pay anyway. Perks of being the boss.

Ken Strayhorn
Hillsborough NC