Re: Windscreen capping removal

To: spitfires@autox.team.net, P.J.McKey@massey.ac.nz
Subject: Re: Windscreen capping removal
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 08:51:04 -0400
The rivets aren't the only think holding that cap on!  It's also held on by the
caulk used to seal
it undeneath..  Drill the rivets out, and then using a very flexible blade cut
the caulk away.
For removing the weather stripping someone stuck on top, I've found a stuff
called "Goo Gone"
to be pretty durn effective.  Don't use oven cleaner, there's a reason the
can's say don't
use it on aluminum.  It eats aluminum.

>>> "McKey, Paul" <P.J.McKey@massey.ac.nz> 08/25 12:11 AM >>>

Hi all

Does anyone know how to easily remove the aluminium capping from the top of
the windscreen without damaging it?  Its attached with rivets of course.
I've found a near perfect example on a completely wasted Mk 2.  It had foam
stuff stuck on it with rubbery (silicon?) glue but after removing some of
this I found it to be all good.  Any ideas on removing the last of the
silicon type material?  I figured oven cleaner (!) might do it.

Paul.

1975 Spitfire Mk IV 1500.