Re: Welding Spit body panels

To: Jeff McNeal <jmcneal@ohms.com>, Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>,
Subject: Re: Welding Spit body panels
From: Carter Shore <clshore@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 06:17:13 -0700 (PDT)
Yes a good point,
but AFAIK, that was base metal fatigue, rather than
joint failure. Also, look how well the rest of the
airframe perfomed, even after such a massive failure
of a major piece.
That was such a 'mature' airframe (early vintage 737),
I bet it didn't use adhesive, just rivets.
I believe that the design philosophy is to design the
adhesive join and the rivet joint independently, such
that either alone is sufficiently strong.

Any airframe folks out there care to comment?

Carter