Gosport - The 'Bear' Essentials

To: "Spitfires" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Gosport - The 'Bear' Essentials
From: "Suzie" <suzie_bear@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 19:12:04 +0100
After travelling 200 miles for Stafford it was pleasant to have the
Gosporteers Vehicle Rally only 2 miles away so I spent the day taking the
sea breezes <brrrrr>, the sunshine & the shower at lunchtime, The weather
was as varied as the cars.

Mine was the only Spitfire there (in a class called 'Sports Cars' with a BMW
saloon at one end and a Reliant Robin 3-wheeler at the other??, no-one else
had an explanation for that combination either!!)

Although it's only a small show it seemed to make up for it with the variety
of vehicles on display. There were a few buses, half a dozen Stags, Austins,
Morrises & Vauxhalls and almost every hue of Ford including Populars,
Prefects, Consuls, Zodiacs, Escort & Capri. A lone military vehicle tried to
hide behind his camouflage net but was rather obvious being slap bang in the
middle of about a dozen Yank gas-guzzlers, including a quartet of Corvettes,
the cop car I saw a few weeks back (it's for sale, any takers?) and
Gosport's resident pink Cadillac coupe deVille.

And the 'Rocky Horror Show' hearse whose occupants plus the local gymnasts
gave an impromptu display of the Timewarp!

There were some beautiful bikes, BSA, AJS, Ariels, Triumphs & Nortons,
including a BSA which had been rescued from semi-burial half-way up a
mountain on the Falklands, a victim of the war. It had been brought down on
a stretcher by the Marines and, as the placard put it, after a series of
operations and transplants it was almost well again needing only a few more
trips to out-patients.

And just to emphasise that we were 'beside the seaside' there were also a
couple of mini hovercrafts in the next field.

There you go folks, occasionally I do notice what other vehicles are there
besides my Baby Blue.

Just a comment on show classes as it's been a topic recently visited on the
list. To think people were worried about some restrictions in show classes
where Spits were split in unlikely ways. At this show classes included, Any
Car pre 1945, Any car 46-59, Family Cars 60-74 & from 75, Volkswagens, MGs,
Stags, Bikes (non-Jap), Bikes (Japanese), and the aforementioned Sports Cars
(any age). Even the Citroen 2CVs got their own class! Then of course there
were the buses (single decker, double decker, buses in service & London
buses)

Well, that's it till next week when Baby Blue & I hope to make it to the
Shoreham Airshow.

Suzie