Glueing your car together

To: spitfires <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Glueing your car together
From: Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>
Date: 29 Aug 2000 08:02:17 -0500
Epoxy is a really good way to hold your car together - if you are Lotus.  The
 Lotus Elise (which, not being sold in the States, many of you may not be aware
 of) is a superb, lightweight, mid-engined, two-seater sports car introduced by
 Lotus about 4 years ago (when I still worked for them, so I might be biased -
 but all the magazines seem to agree with me).  The chassis is manufactured
 from extruded aluminium sections (warm your Al and squeeze it out of a
 toothpaste tube, essentially), which are then bonded (sounds better than
 'glued'!) by an epoxy specially developed between Lotus and the adhesive
 manufacture.  A few rivets are then added, purely to improve crash-worthiness
 - major sudden shock can fracture the bond, although normal use never will.
 So, epoxy is superb, in a clean manufacturing environment, using brand new
 metal (probably surface treated somehow), using a glue specially designed for
 that car.  No erosion, no warping, no damaging the material properties with
 heat, just as strong, and easier - we all know aluminium is a bugger to weld.

Needless to say, I will not be rushing out with my tubes of Araldite next time
 Daffy need some new sills...

Sorry if all this Lotus talk is slightly off-topic, but I thought some of you
 might be interested...

Richard and Daffy