GT6 Body work

To: "Spitlist" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: GT6 Body work
From: "BillG" <wrgingerich@uswest.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 19:03:41 -0500
Greetings, fellow listers;

Here is yet another opportunity for your coveted teacher brownie points.
Although several months away, I'm starting to consider the restoration of
the '71 GT6.  After looking more closely at the body, I've concluded that
the floors, rockers, rear fenders, and possible the front footwell panels
(firewall) should be replaced.  I've had estimates of $1200-$1500 plus parts
to replace the floors, fenders, & rockers.  Footwells extra.  This is more
than I can swing.  I'm not a body man.  I'm fairly handy, and a good friend
is a former certified welder (pressure vessels, tankers, etc.)  We have
access to a 145 amp MIG unit, and possibly a spot welder.  So the Great
Question is: can we do this?  Time is not an issue as this is a long term
project.  What order do we attack this in? I'm thinking footwells, floors,
rockers, and fenders.  Make sense?  I know that rockers are an important
structural component, particularly on a Spit.  Are they as critical on a
GT6?  With the body still bolted to the frame, can we safely remove the
fender, floor and rocker from one side without distorting the tub?  I'm
assuming braces across the door opening are needed.  What about rust
proofing the insides?  POR15 first, then touch up the welded areas after?
There are a ton of thoughts and questions floating around in my head, but I
think you folks get the idea.  Am I just a bit crazy to try this, or am I
certifiable?  All Thought, questions, and comments are welcome.  I would
prefer that any hysterical laughter be suppressed.

TIA !!!! etc.

BillG

Ps They're coming to take me away, Ha Ha.............