Re: Electric or Flex fan for Spitfire?

To: Nolan Penney <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Subject: Re: Electric or Flex fan for Spitfire?
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 17:19:09 -0400
Nolan Penney wrote:
> I do like electric fans.  The later so equipped Spitfires are a pretty
> good indicator of how well they work, since Triumph reduced the
> size of the radiator greatly when they went with the electric fans,
> and the later Spitfires so equipped are not the ones you hear
> constant overheating complaints about.  Electric fans have the
> great advantage of pulling air through the radiator with enthusiasm
> when you're sitting idling in stopped traffic.  That's not something
> the mechanical driven fans do.

  I can vouch for electric fans.

  I have a series II E-type, and E-types had marginal
cooling from the beginning. By the time my car was made,
they had done a lot of work to it.

  ...so my car came with a pair of large cooling fans
right on the radiator, governed by a temperature switch.

  Only on the hottest days do they even turn on, and
they don't usually stay on for long. But if I get stuck
in traffic, they may run for a long period but the
temperature will stay rock solid.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca