Hood frame question

To: "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Hood frame question
From: "McKey, Paul" <P.J.McKey@massey.ac.nz>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 08:57:31 +1300
Hi everyone

I've got an urgent, somewhat unusual question that I hope you will all
understand.  I've just dismantled my 1975 1500 hood (soft top, collapsible
type) frame in anticipation of fitting my new hood.  I then got the pieces
sandblasted and powdercoated - highly recommended, cost about US$40 all up.
Of course, I was very careful to document the whole disassembly process, but
one detail was missed...

The middle hood crossmember looks like an elongated, upside down "U", much
longer across the top.  Welded to this are two short (~15cm) flat metal
pieces with the attachment holes.  Now this is my problem.  I thought this
piece looked the same from the front and the back.  However, it isn't!  The
flat metal pieces are angled in (or out depending whether you look from the
front or the back) about 20.  Could someone please look at their hood frame
(probably easier if you've got one with no hood on it) and let me know if
these flat pieces angle in or out when viewing from the front or back of the
car.  I have no way of telling otherwise.  No manual or pictures have helped
as this is a very subtle (yet important) detail.  It also determines whether
the down parts of the upside down "U" are forward or rear of the attached
flat metal pieces.

If someone could be as kind to answer this question, please reply off-list
to my email address as I am currently subscribing to the digest only.

Kind regards

Paul McKey