Update - Silver the twin GT6

To: "spitlist" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Update - Silver the twin GT6
From: "Dave Terrick" <dterrick@home.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 23:04:10 -0600
Hi all.

Dave 1, Lucas 1.

It has been 24 hours since Silver crossed onto my property.  The ground is
white now;  we were spared the Colorado low that whacked most of the
Northern US and Central Canada.  Still, what timing on the purchase  (side
note,  it will be 5 years to the day on Veteran's Day this 11th that I
started restoring the other twin (the evil one).  We had snow, about 20cm,
the night before THAT project started too.  Is it me?!?

Anyhoo,  last night I was up till nearly 4 ayem poking, prodding and, um.
This car is good.  I shot about 60 jpegs inside outside and upside down.
The extent of rust repair will be a lower rear patch panel for the right
rear fender - the crunchy bit is only just noticeable (trunk floor is
fantastic).  The left front fender needs a hammer and dolly thanks to the
PO's neighbour (defiantly NOT a "D"PO), but that is it.

So looking the Gift Triumph in the mouth tonight I thought....hmmmmm...
start it?  As it happens, I needed both battery cables (I have an original
Lucas tophat but no bolt) and the starter or solenoid is bad.  Cracking the
tops off the carbs reveals gunk but it's gone now.

Anyway, I gave up on starting the car (Lucas 1) so I thought the next best
thing is to verify the electricals......ugh.

Guess what?  I need a brake light switch and a defroster switch.  The
passenger and hatch courtesy light switches are stuck off, but the driver
side works perfectly.  Dave: 1.  Who says Lucas electrics are bad?

Neither the brake nor clutch hydraulics appeared to work.  I filled the
reservoir and played for a bit.  With only a bleed, the brakes are back at
full strength and withstood a 2 min full effort brake pedal test.  It
appears that the clutch m/c is seized, but I just happen to have a spare on
the shelf freshly rebuilt (I'll never need it, right?)

I will need to re-bush the steering column, deal with the starter and
ignition, rebuild the rear suspension and change shocks (regular rot
present, but my racer has perfect brackets).  This is not going to be a
difficult task.

NOW, may I ask for the wisdom of the list?

Having been through the body off process a few times, I believe that a car
never goes back together quite as it was disassembled.  Given no structural
rust, a clean interior, an evidence that the car has never been hit,  should
I go bodyoff?  My personal feeling is no, not because I don't want to, but
because I fail to see the immediate value.

How would you guys like to see this relic dusted off?  As it is (to prove
diamonds in the rough are still out there), or otherwise?  If I keep the
older brother (street legal racer) it will be tuned further and this car
will do daily driving duty and highway trips.  The other will be a Sunday
Night Special, still street legal.

Ideas?

Dave Terrick
...with another custodial contract