Re: 1500 head rebiuld

To: SJagGo@aol.com, kimkell@decaturnet.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 1500 head rebiuld
From: Carter Shore <clshore@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 17:48:35 -0800 (PST)
Main advantages of dual springs:

1) Allow greater valve lift by reducing the bind
height of the coils (two skinnier springs can be
compressed more than one fat spring)
2) Allow higher overall spring rate, to raise the RPM
where valve float occurs. (sum of the pressure from 2
skinny springs can be greater than the pressure from
one fat one)
3) Allow longer spring life, by reducing the torsional

Skinny and fat refer to the thickness of the wire that
the springs are wound from.

Unless you are running a higher than stock lift
camshaft, higher ratio rocker arms, reving above 7,000
RPM, or powering an aircraft, then dual springs will
be of little benefit.

BTW, the valve seats need not suffer. It depends on
the spring rate and the installed height of the
package (springs, retainers, shims) used. Static
closed seat pressure does not have to be any higher
with duals than singles. The machine shop should check
this, it really is important.

But they *do* look cool!

Carter Shore

http://calendar.yahoo.com/