Re: 1500 head rebiuld

To: kimkell@decaturnet.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 1500 head rebiuld
From: SJagGo@aol.com
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 10:46:51 EST
Hi Dave,
DO NOT use double valve springs with your current spring seats.  When I
rebuilt my first Spitfire engine many moons ago, the machine shop I had do my
head ordered new valve springs.  They came with an inner set, so he put them
in.  In a matter of a 1000 miles or so they will chew up the normal valve
seat leaving all kinds metal everywhere in the engine.  Now I order all parts
myself.  I'll still have a machinist install the valve seats, but valve
guides are easy to install.  Lapping the valves isn't difficult but they
don't charge very much for it.  What they can also do, is magnaflux the head
to find any cracks that aren't readily apparent.  Have this done before you
waste your time and money on parts and labor.
Bill Brockschmidt
7 spits
64 OTS Jag
65 S-type Jag