Re: goalie_john@yahoo.co.uk

To: goalie_john <goalie_john@yahoo.co.uk>,
Subject: Re: goalie_john@yahoo.co.uk
From: Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>
Date: 21 Nov 2000 03:50:59 -0600
John,

You just had a replacement differential fitted, right?  Did this noise appear
 as soon as the new diff was fitted?  If so, it is almost certainly excess free
 play in the 'new' diff.  Get under Saskia, and try turning the propshaft back
 and forth.  I don't know what proper spec. is, but you should not be able to
 turn the propshaft too far, although there will be a little free play before
 the drive shafts start to turn.  If there is free play in the diff go back and
 complain loudly - the diff was guaranteed (right?), and free play is the
 easiest thing to check BEFORE the diff is fitted.

If the diff is nice and tight, check the UJs.  I can't remember what model
 Saskia is, but for a 1500 there is a UJ at the rear of the propshaft, there
 may be one at the front too on other models, plus UJs on each drive shaft.
 Just grab the shaft and give it a good shake, and also try turning the shaft -
 any free play should be apparent.  If you do have dodgy UJs, give me a yell
 and I'll give advise on replacing them - not too difficult, the main problem
 is likely to be nuts you can't undo (isn't it always...).

I am lucky in that I have a lift at work that I can put my car on, so checking
 things like this underneath the car is very easy for me.  If you are doing it
 on axle stands in your driveway, I'm sure I don't need to tell you to make
 sure the car is VERY WELL supported, and the front wheels chocked,
 particularly if you are going to be pushing and pulling on things.  I am
 guilty of this myself, I must admit, but I would still advise that you never
 get underneath your car unless there is someone within screaming distance (who
 preferably knows how to operate a jack), just in case.

Richard and Daffy