Re: Alternative gear lubes

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>, <Spitfire-enthusiast@egroups.com>
Subject: Re: Alternative gear lubes
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 07:33:45 -0500
So, now you know that you're not supposed to be able to engage the overdrive in
1st and 2nd.
In my limited studies of these units, it's not that the engine produces too
much power.  Not by a
long shot with a mere Spitfire.  The problem is the unit is hydraulically
actuated, and the hydraulic
pump is driven off the output shaft of the main transmission.  In 1st and 2nd
gears, the output shaft
is spinning too slowly to build up sufficient hydraulic pressure; hence the
unit will engage, but will
not hold.

So, engage the unit only in 3rd and 4th, and see if the slipping problem goes
away.  If it does,
you're done with the repairs.  If it doesn't, then it's time to get a bit
greasy.

Oils, especially synthetics, don't flush out with a mere oil change.  If any
glazing has taken place,
that won't go away either with an oil change.  Disassembly and hand cleaning is
required.  Myself,
I'm fond of soap & water, carburetor cleaner and brake cleaner, in that order.
I've been able to
clean up and re-use many a clutch and brake unit this way.  For glazing, emery
cloth works wonders.

As for synthetic oil not allowing the overdrive clutch to engage, I doubt it.
Japanese motorcyles
have had wet clutches for decades.  When synthetic oils came on the market
there was much
fear that using them would result in their clutches not engaging.  This turned
out to be unfounded,
the clutches worked fine submersed in synthetic oil.

The only clutch packs I am aware of that do not always like synthetic oils are
limited slip clutch
packs.  They will still work, but their engagement temperment becomes altered,
usually for the
worse.  Not that they don't engage, but that they do so in a jumpy and chattery
manner.

>>> <A666K@aol.com> 01/11 9:50 PM >>>

In a message dated 1/11/01 7:26:04 PM Eastern Standard Time,