Re: duh my camshaft question

To: Terry Thompson <firespiter@yahoo.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: duh my camshaft question
From: Carter Shore <clshore@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 06:15:32 -0800 (PST)
Terry,
I lived with an A-6 cam in a sreet driven Spitfire for
a year or so.
It was a basically race prepped 1147 motor. I commuted
in expressway and stop and go traffic, from the 'burbs
to downtown Miami, maybe 25 miles each way.

Yes, the idle was around 1000 RPM.
Yes, cold starts were tough (35-100F Miami weather)
Yes, mileage sucked (10-12 MPG)
Yes, I had to adjust the valves every month.

Yes, it was an absolute blast to drive, expressway
ramps, squirting through traffic, etc.

If I had it to do again, I would NOT use the heavy
duty clutch pressure plate. At the end of a year, my
left leg was larger than the right.

If you go this route, degree the cam for more torque
rather than top end HP when you install it. (can't
remember which way, advance or retard by a couple of
degrees).

Good luck

Carter Shore