bloody knuckles and water leaks

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: bloody knuckles and water leaks
From: John Hobson <goalie_john@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 16:20:26 +0100 (BST)
After having spent most of the weekend draining the cooling system and
fitting new hoses (sounds simple), by the end of the weekend I had
managed to achieve a leakier cooling system than I had at the beginning!
This was largely due to a replacement pipe that runs underneath the
manifold, that I got from Spitfire Graveyard once I realised that the old
one was toast, had more holes in it hidden beneath the rust than a bad
road in Sheffield.  Much JBWeld later and I thought I had it sorted,
reconnected everything and put the raditor cleaner in and there were many
little streams of water running down the engine. bugger.  Removed pipe
and put even more JBWeld on and found a couple more small rust holes that
I had missed.  I will try again tonight and am hopeful that I may have it
sorted this time...hopefully remaining leaks will be cured with the
radiator leak stopper stuff that I'll add tonight.

I also managed to get scaped, bloody and bruised hands, largely attibuted
to my neighbour's spanner snapping in my hand when trying to undo a nut,
I'm sure you all have similar storys, probably a rite of passage in the
world of amateur car mechanics!

My replacement water pump gasket arrived today, but that may have to wait
for a bit as I'm running out of time this week.  Fingers crossed and I
should have her back on the road for the TSSC International this
weekend...

cheers
John
http://www.spit1500.co.uk/