DGAV Carb Question

To: spit <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: DGAV Carb Question
From: Johnnie Blaze <johnblaze@vrk11.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 07:15:02 -0600 (MDT)
First I would like to thank everyone who respoded to my last post of 'One
Million +2 Questions', I am slowly learning the workings of this car. I
tried everyones suggestion of just knocking the ball joint off the
steering knuckle but after two separate attempts have decided to leave
this one up to the pros .. it just wont budge..

But in any case this post is about my carb... after picking up the Hayes
manual on weber carbs I have settled on this carb being a DGAV, but it
seemes that the Auto Choke piece of the carb has been modified for a
manual choke mechanism, which runs up to the front dash.. is there any
logic in doing this?  I cannot operate the mechanism from inside the car,
(because of its shoddy construction) but if i pull on the attached wire
from within the engine compartment it will close the choke valves.
Pictures of this mod can be seen at http://www.vrk11.com/spitfire/1/spit.html
 in the first and third image.

Should I fix this up so I can manually operate the choke , leave it as is,
or attempt to turn it back into it original water operated mechanism (if
that can even be done ?).?? As this car is brand new to me Im not exactly
sure if I need the choke at all .. car seems to start fine for me now, and
I dont plan on running it during the winters ... I live in colorado :)

Well as always, thanks in advance for everyones help .. and If anyone has
a tell all trick for removing that ball joint, before I go pay for it, I
would be much oblidged.

--Chad

PS. If anyone is in the colorado(denver/littleton) area and wouldnt mind
renting out their ball joint separator please contact me off list...