Re: DGAV Carb Question

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>, <johnblaze@vrk11.com>
Subject: Re: DGAV Carb Question
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 11:10:34 -0400
Chokes get converted to manual operation because either they have failed, or
the person is of the bent that believes no automatic choke can work as well as
their hand.  There are manual choke conversion kits for this carburetor, but
yours appears to be rather home made.

Do you *need* to convert it back to automatic operation?  No.  A manual choke
can work just fine.  It will just lose the gradual opening characteristics, and
rely on your hand to push the knob to open the choke up.  No big deal as far as
operations go, though it is an EPA emissions problem.  You will ultimately want
to have some sort of choke available to you for starting.  Right now, things
may be going fine with starting, but on a cold morning, they may not.  Then a
choke helps.

As for tie rod ends and ball joints, I've almost always used a pickle fork.
Cheap and handy.  The devices that are supposed to remove the ball joint
without damaging the rubber boot always fail on me, bending up nicely.  With
some practice, you can learn to use the pickle fork without damaging the boot.

>>> Johnnie Blaze <johnblaze@vrk11.com> 07/11 9:15 AM >>>
Should I fix this up so I can manually operate the choke , leave it as is,
or attempt to turn it back into it original water operated mechanism (if
that can even be done ?).??