Re: RE: DGAV Carb Question

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>, <chuckp@magenic.com>
Subject: Re: RE: DGAV Carb Question
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 12:01:43 -0400
I don't know of a kit per se, but Spitfire ZS carburetors are of the CD4 type,
so I believe the entire automatic choke unit (really an enrichener) from a
later CD4 carburetor would fit up to an earler CD4.

You could spend lots of money buying the pieces new, or you could get a
complete later model CD4 carburetor at a swap meet for well under $5.  I'd
personally go the latter route and use those parts.

But, if there is any carburetor I've ever met that would make me hesitate about
going with the automatic type chokes it's the ZS.  Far too many times I've had
to disassemble mine (and others) to free up the cam mechanism that was stuck.
With a manual choke knob, the action is more direct and you actually tend to
know when the unit is no longer enrichening the mixture, as opposed to
wondering if it's disengaged or not.  This is not a problem with other types of
carburetors, but the complex linkage hiding in the ZS, and its tendancy to
corrode, seems to make it somewhat prevalent with them.

>>> Chuck Pedretti <chuckp@magenic.com> 07/11 11:28 AM >>>
Is there a kit to convert the manual choke Single ZS carb on my 70 spitfire
to automatic choke?