Re: horns

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: horns
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 06:43:33 +0100
In article <3B526381.6807C135@cadvision.com>, Fred Griffiths
<griffco@cadvision.com> writes
>According to the Leyland parts catalogue for the 1500 (1975)
>the horn placement is as follows:
>
>Lucas, high note, right
>Lucas, low note, left
>Clear Hooters, high note, left
>Clear Hooters, low note, right

Interesting.   I guess I must have Clear Hooters horns, then.

>The book says the Clear Hooter and Lucas horns are
>interchangeable in car sets only.
>
>Wonder why the subtle difference?  Would it really matter to
>the sound?

Maybe it is as simple as emphasising the difference between Lucas and
Clear Hooter horns.   Mind you, according to the Rimmer catalogue, there
was only one type of horn ("Standard"), which has a D-shaped mouth and
no adjusting screw, rather than the oval mouths and adjusting screws on
mine.   Would I be right in thinking that Rimmers have illustrated the
Lucas model?

ATB
--
Mike
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea"