Re: Argggg, first down time with my baby ... clutch issues

To: Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou <doug@dougbraun.com>
Subject: Re: Argggg, first down time with my baby ... clutch issues
From: Howard Allen <Howard.Allen@fairchildsemi.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 10:46:55 -0400
Well I am certainly not an expert in the field, but I think it depends
on the type of rubber that is used in the seals.  For example, I once
made the mistake of putting DOT3 into a system requiring DOT4.  The next
day there were pools of brake fluid everywhere and I had to rebuild the
entire system twice before I got all the fluid out.
Technically you could probably use water, but your bores would rust and
you couldn't run in the winter.

There is also probably some sort of specification dealing with boiling
temperatures and expansion rates that would explain why you couldn't use
a petrol-based fluid in a brake system, since the high temps found in a
brake system would have to be taking into consideration.

Regards
Howard in Maine