Re: Distributor Cam Rotates

To: Bobpcoe@aol.com
Subject: Re: Distributor Cam Rotates
From: Donald H Locker <dhl@chelseamsl.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 20:58:54 -0400 (EDT)
Hi, Bob.

Well, let's see.  Is the cam on a hollow shaft of its own that slips
onto a solid shaft or is it a loose piece all by its lonesome?  (What
year is it, in case I'm going down the wrong path in the following
paragraphs, please.)

If it is attached to a hollow shaft, then the connection between that
shaft and the solid shaft (which should turn with engine and
distributor rotation) is made by the springs that comprise part of the
centrifugal advance mechanism.  These are quite small (perhaps 1/2
inch long and 1/8 inch diameter or less) and connect between little
posts on a spinning plate attached to the solid shaft and even-smaller
posts on a plate attached to the bottom of the hollow shaft.  All of
this mechanism (as well as a pair of flyweights and a couple of cam
pieces) are located under a stationary plate which carries the points
(in a points-triggered ignition) or the electronic (magnetic or
optical) pickup in an electronic-triggered ignition system.

The springs should be around somewhere; they just can't escape that I
know of.  One other thing that might help is a little history of what
led up to the ignition failure -- did it just happen? or did you do
(or have done) some work on the engine lately?

Oh, and if the cam is a loose piece, I'd expect you may need to have
it brazed back onto the shaft.  But I doubt that is the case; it
doesn't sound right to me.

Donald.