Re: Clutch Slipping

To: bradrichardson@juno.com
Subject: Re: Clutch Slipping
From: Donald H Locker <dhl@chelseamsl.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 20:35:46 -0400 (EDT)
Hi, Brad.

Sounds like you are in for a clutch replacement.  When the disk wears
sufficiently, the spring tension in the cover is no longer sufficient
to keep the disk clamped between pressure plate and flywheel.  No
adjustment is available to compensate for this wear.

Avoid using so much throttle that it slips (as that aggravates the
wear very quickly) and get a new disk installed ASAP.  You may need to
reface the pressure plate and/or flywheel too, especially if there has
been much slipping -- the heat from the friction will cause the resins
in the disk to vaporise and transfer to the metal surfaces, causing
"glazing".

HTH,
Donald.