Exhaust

To: Spitfires Listserv <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Exhaust
From: "James Carruthers" <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 10:37:01 +0000
On Sat I successfully replaced the backbox..... as always this sentence
will end with a BUT......

First I'll start with a funny story. I started off at about midday and
drove home about 15 miles or so. Before I set off I had a quick look at
the exhaust - nothing visually wrong with it. I decided that Id take it
to the garage just to confirm stuff and then do it myself - I wanted to
ask them if there were any local suppliers of exhausts too. So I got to
the garage and went in to the little inside bit. I told him that I
thought there was something wrong with my exhaust. He looked out the
window and said, yes you've got a big hole in it. I asked him how he
knew this - and pointed out that one of the brackets on the back had
disengaged with the box - taking a bit chunk of it with it. Doh! That
must of happened on the way home.....  Anyway the journey wasnt wasted
as I found out a supplier locally that would do my exhaust.

Back to the question: What holds up the front of the back box up? There
wasnt anything holding the pipe (coming from the engine) on to the
underside. This seems a bit worrying to me. All that was holding the
pipe was the clamp on the pipe. Occasionally it rattles when going over
large bumps. Its going to be a right pain to do anything to it now - as
the ramps are at home.

The car is now well and truly fixed after months of being in a state of
limbo... almost. (Im touching some virtual wood here.....)

James

1977 Pimento Red Spit