RE: Leaking Oil behind the head

To: "'Greg Schluge'" <gschluge@cstone.net>,
Subject: RE: Leaking Oil behind the head
From: Davies William-qswi646 <William.M.Davies@motorola.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 08:27:59 -0000

Hi Greg,
        Oil leaking from the left hand rear corner of the block/head
interface is a noted weakness on the Triumph SC engine. This is where the
top end oil-feed passes throught the head gasket. The cure is simple, but
involves removal of the head and replacing the gasket. When fitting the new
gasket, apply a thin smear of good quality gasket sealant (I use Hylomar)
ONLY around the oil channel - torque down the head as normal with the usual
re-torqueing after 500 miles. Of the 35+ Triumphs I've owned with this
engine, nearly all have leaked at this point to some degree. Gasket
replacement in it's own right is rarely a complete cure, but using the
Hylomar does seal up the leak.
        Cheers,
                Bill.

                            This Message sent by:
    ^================^
   /                  \     William Davies
  /                    \    Total Triumph Enthusiast
/  \  ______  ______  /  \  1959 Herald 948 Coupi Y128
\__/  \     ||     /  \__/  1959 Herald 948 Saloon
\________________________/  1961 Herald 1200 Coupi
 | |                  | |   1968 2000 Mk1 Saloon (the Wife's car!)

Join The Herald Mailing List at: