non LBC help

To: spitfires@autox.team.net, spitfire-enthusiast@egroups.com,
Subject: non LBC help
From: Bradley D Richardson <bradrichardson@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2001 09:43:42 -0800
Hey,

My son has an 82 Chevrolet Celebrity.  He bought it real cheap about 2
years ago, it's been sitting, unstarted, ever since.

We tried to start it today, obviously the battery was 100% drained.  I
hooked up a battery charger to it, the gauge on the charger indicates
virtually zero power is going into the battery.  However, we can now turn
on the headlights, etc., so at least we know it's connected.

Yet, we have ZERO power to the starter motor.  It doesn't even click,
much less try and turn the engine over.

Any thoughts?  I've always assumed that even with a 100% drained battery,
one could 'jump start' the car.  Is it possible that this car is set up
somehow that when the battery is 100% drained, and maybe even worthless,
that even with a battery charger hooked up, no power can get to the
starter motor?  According to his Owner's Manual, there are no fuses for
the starter circuit.  However, there is a 10 amp fuse for "crank Signal
to ECM", whatever that means.  There is also one for the "computer
Command Control".  Both fuses appear to be ok.

HELP!!!!

Brad