Re: non LBC help

To: bradrichardson@juno.com
Subject: Re: non LBC help
From: Cwn74@aol.com
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2001 16:34:07 EST
In a message dated 12/9/2001 12:46:35 PM Eastern Standard Time,
bradrichardson@juno.com writes:

> We tried to start it today, obviously the battery was 100% drained.  I
> hooked up a battery charger to it, the gauge on the charger indicates
> virtually zero power is going into the battery.  However, we can now turn
> on the headlights, etc., so at least we know it's connected.
>
> Yet, we have ZERO power to the starter motor.  It doesn't even click,
> much less try and turn the engine over.
>
> Any thoughts?  I've always assumed that even with a 100% drained battery,
> one could 'jump start' the car.  Is it possible that this car is set up
> somehow that when the battery is 100% drained, and maybe even worthless,
> that even with a battery charger hooked up, no power can get to the
> starter motor?  According to his Owner's Manual, there are no fuses for
> the starter circuit.  However, there is a 10 amp fuse for "crank Signal
> to ECM", whatever that means.  There is also one for the "computer
> Command Control".  Both fuses appear to be ok.

12 volts - 100% of 12 volts = 0 (Zero) volts......

The battery charger is probably a low amperage homeowner type and can power
the lights but doesn't have the AMPS to turn the starter motor.  Get some
good jumper cables and use your car that works (not the Spitfire) to jump
from that battery to the Chevy.

Hook it up and then start the car with the good battery.  Run it for a few
minutes and then try the Chevy.  If clicking noises, the connection is bad.

Clark

"If it's not fun why do it?" Jerry Greenfield
Clark W. Nicholls
CWNicholls@aol.com
www.cwnicholls.com
fax: 419-844-7564 (yes, 419 provided free by efax.com)
phone: 413-243-3433