Re: colour of the inside bit of original triumph wheels?

To: "Spitfire" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: colour of the inside bit of original triumph wheels?
From: "Laura Gharazeddine" <Laura.G@141.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 22:35:19 -0700
>Well now my car is fixed I can start making it look a bit more

pretty. Out
>went the old warped glove box, and then I found out it was

riveted to the bit
>that holds it up. So I dont have a glove box now. And Im stuck -

I may drill
>out the rivets and use bolts instead.

When I took mine out to replace it, I found that it was all
screwed in. Of course, when I put in the replacement glove box, I
ended up with a nice assortment of screws leftover...I have since
fitted the glove box in and attached to the support bar with heavy
duty self adhesive velcro!

>Lucky I dont have any gloves to go in it. Although I have been

questioning the
>lack of gloves - as it gets rather chilly - and when I stay late

at college my
>hands get quite uncomfortable on the highly conductive steering

wheel. I
>really could do with some gloves. However Ive been questioning

wether I can
>get away with it on the fashion side of things..... my mates

would have a
>right laugh when they see me. Not that there is anything wrong

with driving
>gloves you understand......

I live in sunny southern California-and I pretty much always wear
gloves when driving. I have classic string back pair for warmer
weather and varying colours and weights. People will sometimes
look at me a little strangely, because I dress for being in the
car, at speed, top down. But usually the same people who give me
the strange looks are the same people who wear shorts and a tank
top no matter what the air temperature is as long as the sun is
shinning!...

>After doing extensive research (well, looking at the fine

collection of
>photo's on the fabulous triumphspitfire.com) - Im trying to work

out the
>original colour of the inside bit of the wheel (the bit where the

nuts go on)
>?
>
>They all seem to be either black or silver/metal. Did triumph do

it as an
>option? I doubt it somehow.
>
>Mine are black - but they're scratched up. So I was thinking of

redoing them -
>or getting some new ones - which ever's cheaper.

You can get replacements off eBay cheap enough. But they usually
seem to be in silver. Mine are black-looks really good with the
dark BRG. (Silver would look too washed out!) I did get a
replacement one-and when the cracked one finally breaks, the
"silver" will be sprayed black and put on. (Maybe I should make
spraying that center a Christmas project-along with installing
Nigel's replacement antenna. His got broken off by some nice
passer-by in a parking lot and his Uncle Bob sent him a new one,
all wrapped for Christmas!)

>On another note: I was thinking wouldnt it be nice to have a list

of all the
>listers and their location, car colour/s, registration etc etc on

the web
>somewhere for reference. Im thinking of next year when I see a

spitfire for
>the first time on the road..... now the chances of seeing another

lister are
>probably close to winning the lottery, but you never know. I dont

mind
>organising it.

Done! Joe Curry's list-the url for which is given in the January
issue of  Classic and Sports Car in the Spitfire article.

I've met several listers-hundreds, even a thousand miles from me!
in fact, I've met so many of my cyber friends in "RL" (as Dave
Nachmanoff sings) that it's really amazing! Don't give up!

Happy Holidays, James,

And to all a good night!

Laura G.