Re: MPH vs. RPM, Spitfire 1500

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MPH vs. RPM, Spitfire 1500
From: reed mideke <rfm@redshift.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 14:07:01 -0800
Michael Hargreave Mawson wrote:

[...]

>>Assuming we each run tires with the stock circumference, but his
>>differential is 3.63 vrs 3.89 for mine, how can we expect the
>>odometers to read the same?  Has Leyland provided a different set of
>>speedometer drive gears in the transmission to compensate?
>>

> That would be one answer - the other would be that either you or I have
> the wrong speedo in our cars...

Well, don't know about Triumph but some manufacturers certainly
change the spedo gear to match the rear end. I know nissan does
this for certain. The speedo gears are color coded for the
various ratios.
--
Email:               rfm(at)redshift.com or rfm(at)portalofevil.com
Home page:                             http://www.redshift.com/~rfm