Re: MPH vs. RPM, Spitfire 1500

To: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MPH vs. RPM, Spitfire 1500
From: "Tom O'Malley" <tomomalley@meganet.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 19:08:52 -0500
Spitlisters...

I've been chatting with Michael offlist about his speedometer
problems.  I'm starting to wonder though, about the differences in the
UK vrs U.S. odometer calibration.  Not the MPH.

His odometer and mine are speced at 1000 revolutions per mile.  <not
MPH but distance covered>

Assuming we each run tires with the stock circumference, but his
differential is 3.63 vrs 3.89 for mine, how can we expect the
odometers to read the same?  Has Leyland provided a different set of
speedometer drive gears in the transmission to compensate?

Perhaps our UK friends have concealed the existence of an "Imperial
Mile" to go along with their Imperial gallon?   They're a crafty lot,
you know. :-)

I'm also wondering if anyone has come up with  "The definitive guide
to single-rail transmission swapping among marques".  I'm interested
in hearing about the late Midget 1500 and also the MORRIS <sorry
Michael> Marina single rail transmissions regarding Spit Swapping.

Cheers!
Tom O'Malley <'74 Federal Spit uprated to '76 spec.>