Re: MPH vs. RPM, Spitfire 1500

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MPH vs. RPM, Spitfire 1500
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 00:33:06 +0000
In article <phdq1uo8e0g1c47va4pv35e2i00dd8u4g2@4ax.com>, Tom O'Malley
<tomomalley@meganet.net> writes
>Spitlisters...
>
>I've been chatting with Michael offlist about his speedometer
>problems.  I'm starting to wonder though, about the differences in the
>UK vrs U.S. odometer calibration.  Not the MPH.
>
>His odometer and mine are speced at 1000 revolutions per mile.  <not
>MPH but distance covered>
>
>Assuming we each run tires with the stock circumference, but his
>differential is 3.63 vrs 3.89 for mine, how can we expect the
>odometers to read the same?  Has Leyland provided a different set of
>speedometer drive gears in the transmission to compensate?

That would be one answer - the other would be that either you or I have
the wrong speedo in our cars...

>Perhaps our UK friends have concealed the existence of an "Imperial
>Mile" to go along with their Imperial gallon?   They're a crafty lot,
>you know. :-)

The Imperial Mile ought to be pretty close to a kilometre.   The word
"mile" comes from the Latin "mille passuum" meaning a thousand paces.
According to the OED, however, the Imperial Roman Mile has been
calculated at 1618 yards, which must mean that Roman Legionaries had
*very* long legs.   I wonder how they were calibrated?

ATB

--
Mike
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea"