Re: driveshafts and u-joints

To: sfgator2@juno.com
Subject: Re: driveshafts and u-joints
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 15:10:33 -0700
sfgator2@juno.com wrote:

> list,
>                 (sorry if this came thru once already !!)
>
>                 I recently dropped a 1500 eng/trans/driveshaft into my '63
>and was surprised to discover that the flanges on the rear of the driveshaft
>and the diff. don't seem to mate up. I tried rotating the driveshaft 90 and
>180 degrees but, the holes still seem off. ISTR that the same UJs are used in
>all apps on the car, and don't remember a different one for early roundtails,
>or for the rear of the driveshaft. Any ideas, suggestions, derisive laughter
>directed my way...  : )

Dean,
Give it up!  They will never line up because they are the wrong size!  You need
to mate the flanges with the right size.  There are only two different
sizes to be concerned with.  Here is a quick and dirty chart on what the
different parts have:

Early Differential (up thru Mk3) have the smaller flanges that mate with the
small flanges on the axles and Drive Shaft.

Early Gearbox (up through the Mk3) have the smaller flange to mate with the
original  smaller flange on the drive shaft.

Later Differential MkIV on have larger flange that mates with an equal sized
driveshaft and axles.

Later Gearboxes MkIV on have the larger flange to mate with the same size
flange on the drive shaft.

All GT6's have the same size flanges as the later Spitfires on the Differential
and gearbox.

So, I suspect that the solution to your problem is to take the rear flange off
your old driveshaft and put it on the new one.  The same size U-Joint
is used for both.  That is all you need to do.  If you upgrade the
differential, you will need to use larger flanges on both axles and on the
driveshaft.

I hope this clears it up for you.

Joe