RE: Off my rocker(s)

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Off my rocker(s)
From: "Jon" <triumph@bigolbear.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 14:31:34 -0500
I'm at that point with "Ol' Yeller" myself. I ordered a back issue of
Triumph World - No. 22 - October/November 1998 as I was told it had an
excellent segment on just what we're up to on our Spits. I reattached the
frame to get lateral support; since the frame is being replaced with a
donor, I'll cut it in front of the firewall to make it easier to maneuver.
I'm bolting the hardtop back on and rehanging the doors to get the door
openings in line. Once in place I'm going to weld bars across the door
openings, then pull the doors off again. One note, I was advised to do the
work in 3 steps- floor first, inner sill then the rockers. The thought is
that the sills and rockers (though in truly sad shape, 8 winters in Rhode
Island really did 'em in) add strength, once the new floors are in, the
inner sill can be removed, then once that's there, the rockers go (if they
don't completely rust away while I do the rest...). As to jacking, I'm using
4x4's running the length of the rockers to spread the strain and keep the
firewall section and rear from sagging down around the door openings. Once
the frame's cut down to size, I plan on using that for support. At least
that's the plan...
Good Luck!

Jon
'77 (mostly) 1500 "Ol' Yeller"