Re: rumble from rear left wheel

To: j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk, spitlist <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: rumble from rear left wheel
From: John Hobson <goalie_john@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 08:17:00 -0800 (PST)
You can do it yourself, but I think that that the ujs are quite hard to
press out and get back in again.  I wouldn't trust myself to do it, but
then I'm not very mechanically competant.  Not sure I'd have the tools
either, although you could probably press them out using a g-clamp and a
small socket or similar.  I'll stop thinking out loud now...others on the
list will probably know how to do this better.

The ujs sit between the diff and the half shaft (transmits the drive to
the wheels from the diff) allowing the half shaft to move up and down and
flex a bit with the suspension.  It allows the halfshaft to move in the
same way as your shoulder, sort of.  There is also a uj on the propshaft.

Take a look at this link which shows what ujs are(watch out for text
wrapping):

http://autorepair.about.com/library/glossary/bldef-114.htm?iam=howstuffworks_SKD&terms=universal+joint

cheers
John & Saskia the 1977 Spit 1500 (on the waiting list for a heart
transplant...)

--- James Carruthers <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk> wrote:
> Labour? Does that mean I can't do it myself? Obviously I could - if I
> even knew
> what a universal joint was - but Im guessing it could be difficult?
>
> This is kind of scary - I have to admit its been happening about 2
> weeks now.
>

> James
>

> 1977 Pimento Red Spit
>

> John Hobson wrote:
>
> > James,
> >
> > I think this is most likely one of the universal joints on the half
> > shaft, best get them replaced.  Could be nasty if they let go when
> your
> > going at speed...  They are only cheap (#7 each), labour will be a
> bit
> > more tho.
> >
> > Others with more knowledge may correct me tho...
> >
> > One thing I have learnt by now is that Spitfires *never* 'go right'!
> >
> > cheers
> > John
> >
> > --- James Carruthers <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk> wrote:
> > > Just when I thought I'd sorted everything out.....
> > >
> > > There's a rumble from the rear left wheel when I the car's going
> left.
> > > It doesn't happen when I go right. And the rear right doesn't do
> the
> > > same when going right.
Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/