Re: rumble from rear left wheel

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: rumble from rear left wheel
From: "Greg Rowe" <growe58@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 12:30:56 -0500
Since the ujs seem to last about 30,000 miles and since I put on
10-12,000 miles annually and there are 3 of them, I basically seem
to end up doing one every year.  If you're going to put some
miles on your car, you'll be ahead of the game if you can service
the ujs yourself.

It's really not too difficult, one bolt each for the spring,
shock and radius arm, 4 bolts for the flange, remove the brake line
and emergency brake cable and the whole half shaft comes out.
While the uj can be pressed out with a hydraulic press (which you
don't have) or a big enough vice (which you may not have), it can
also be hammered using a socket.  And even if it's just totally
stubbornly, recalcitrantly, completely frozen in place, you can
always take the whole axle shaft assembly to your local garage
and have them finish the job.  You'll still be money ahead on labor.

Do you have a good repair manual?  It should give you some pretty
good directions on the process.  Also this list is always here if
you run into any problems.

Good luck!

Greg Rowe