Re: Fuel types

To: "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fuel types
From: "Bollinger, Bob D. (Bob.Bollinger)"
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 11:51:10 -0800
For older cars (without the benefits of all the electronic gadgetry to
automatically adjust the engine to avoid pinging) the rule of thumb is to
use the minimum octane to avoid pining.

Here's a link to a good report on octane by the API (American Petroleum
Institute).  (Yes it's on my "Big Oil" company's web site, but it's
theoretically unbiased since the report is by the API).

 http://www.chevron.com/prodserv/fuels/gas_qanda/api_octane.shtml

Plus a link on even more on motor gasoline (I'm sure other oil companies
have similar info on their sites):

http://www.chevron.com/prodserv/fuels/bulletin/motorgas/